1.11.2017

Oregon Book Awards!


I'm over the moon today about the announcement that Hannah and Sugar is a finalist for the Eloise Jarvis Macgraw Award for Children's Literature, a Literary Arts Oregon Book Award. This is such an honor! There's something really special about being recognized in this state I have chosen to make my home. I love Oregon and am proud to be called an Oregon author. I put a lot of work over many, many years into making this book and it's a sweet feeling to know my story connected to people. It's nice to have a little outside reassurance that those insistent and insecure voices in my head were wrong all those years - thank goodness I didn't listen to them!

I hope you'll take the time to go to the Literary Arts website to view all the categories and the beautiful books nominated - including my good friend Martha Grover's book The End of My Career. Congratulations, Martha!!! This is so well deserved!


The other finalists for the Children's Literature Award are:
Cathy Camper for Lowriders to the Center of the Earth


Deborah Hopkinson for Steamboat School


Kathleen Lane for The Best Worst Thing


Cynthia Rylant for The Otter


What fantastic books! I'll be heading the the library soon so I can read them all. (Personally I think we each should win an award since all of the books fall into different categories. Hannah and Sugar, of course, is a picture book and then we have a graphic novel, a historical fiction picture book, a middle reader and a chapter book.)

Many thanks to Literary Arts for this recognition. I am very grateful!

No comments: